"Honoring the greatness of Jesus Christ by growing spiritually, living authentically, and participating in his purposes." -classic city church's mission statement

Friday, January 15, 2010

day 5- panera, prices, and paradox


hey day five. it's 11:36 at night, friday, and i'm tired.

I discovered today while taking my georgia sister out to dinner that panera has david's fast options- salad and veggie soup. Does it even count as fasting if I still go out to eat?

Which made me think about my grocery bill- which in all honesty, has gone up since I've started fasting. Fruits and vegetables are way more expensive than ramen noodles, pasta, and rice.

Countless statistics tell us that although it sounds counterintuitive, poor people are more likely to be overweight than underweight; that the highest obesity counts are among people below poverty line; that children on free lunches at school have a higher body mass than children who are not. Why?

Because healthy foods are more expensive than unhealthy ones.

We see a society crazy about organic, for instance, but at what prices?

And that feels like a paradox to me of the Daniel fast- it is good in many, many ways, but I am spending more to fast than if I wasn't fasting.

And that makes me feel odd.

day 5- homemade soup, panera veggie soup and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment