"Honoring the greatness of Jesus Christ by growing spiritually, living authentically, and participating in his purposes." -classic city church's mission statement

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

day 17 devotional- mercy

"

Scripture:
Isaiah 65:1-2 (NLT) The Lord says, 'I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me. I said, 'Here I am, Here I am!' to a nation that did not call on my name. All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people. But they follow their own evil paths and their own crooked schemes."

Personal Reflection: Our society and world has greatly degenerated with each passing year, removing the traditional acknowledgement of God from public places and public forums, demeaning those who hold to the precepts of God, redefining the meaning of family, tolerating the corruption of morality even among its leaders and ignoring the consequences, the judgment of God as seen in natural disasters and in the removal of His sovereign hand of protection. We have polluted the land with the blood of the unborn. Morally, America has never sunk so low. Only the mercy of an Almighty God can save us from ourselves. The time is critical. We must cry out to God for mercy on our nation and our world; we cannot be guilty of not calling upon his name and asking for help.

Going forward I'm committed to _______.

Additional Scripture Support: Dan. 2:21, Psalm 103:13, 17, Exodus 33:19, Hosea 2:23, Isaiah 60:10, Eph. 2:4, Psalm 111:4, Rom 2:4

Praying through scripture:
dan. 9:16-19 (MSG)
Jesus, following the lines of what you have always done in setting things right, setting people right, please look kindly on us- your nation, your world, your holy mountain. We know it's our fault that these things are happening, all because of our sins and our parents' sins, and now we're an embarrasment to everyone around us. So listen, God, to this determined prayer of your servant. Have mercy on your ruined Sanctuary. Act out of who you are, not out of what we are. Turn your ears away, God, and listen. We know that we don't deserve a hearing from you. Our apeal is to your compassion, listen to us, forgive us, don't put us out- this nation and this world are yours and you have a stake in us. Amen

"

I think this has been the most powerful thing that I've read out of my devotional. Oddly enough, this has also definitely been my weakest point in my fast. It's cool how at our weakest, God shows us his best.

That verse from Isaiah is powerful and vivid. I can only imagine the pain God feels being ready, shouting to his people, waiting for them all day long.

I don't want to keep God waiting. And I'm sorry that I do so often, God.

Going forward I'm committed to being present in front of my God. Father, I need your mercy, but I can only get it if I come to your feet. Here I am, God. Have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment