"Honoring the greatness of Jesus Christ by growing spiritually, living authentically, and participating in his purposes." -classic city church's mission statement

Friday, January 22, 2010

day 12- the good, the bad, and the mundane



today i'm going to continue on the idea janelle and I talked through that fasting is designed to demonstrate what controls you.

so quite often during fasting I have bad or hard days and I come home and I think to myself, "I want ice cream. I deserve it." or i want ramen. or rice. or bread. or brownies. or coffee.

or cigarettes; or alcohol; or watching trashy tv.

this list goes on and on, doesn't it?

And so I have two questions today that I think everyone should reflect on.

1. What do you rely on when you're down?

One of the cool things about fasting is that most of the things I crave when I'm upset I can't have right now. And that helps me to refocus on God.

Where do you turn to instead of God? And is it productive? Or does it tear you down more?

Does it make you a slave to it, or does it glorify?

So I made a list of all the things I do when I'm upset. And they arn't good. Sure, some of them are semi-harmless, and some of them, like running, arn't horrible, but it's the way I go about them that's not good. My mentality is all wrong.

and, as sherwin put it

2. Do you remember your maker when you are happy?

When you feel good, when you arn't in need, do you forget?

Even after I'm done fasting, I want to actively seeking God during the good, the bad, and the mundane in betweens.

day 12- grapefruit, vegetable soup, lima beans and onions

No comments:

Post a Comment