"Honoring the greatness of Jesus Christ by growing spiritually, living authentically, and participating in his purposes." -classic city church's mission statement

Sunday, January 31, 2010

day 21- only one thing


day 21!!!! Today is my last day of fasting- which means no food at all today.

Tomorrow I will make mozzarella sticks. :-)

So I've been thinking and dreading the last post for so long...hoping to find some kind of overwhelming ephiphanies to leave you all on...but I realized at church today that it's not needed.

Today at church half way through our sound exploded and we had to turn it off and run the rest of the set acoustic. Even Lee, our pastor, had to shout instead of use a microphone. It reminded me of a time my freshman year in college right after I began my relationship with Christ how we used to all caravan to this church in Suffolk which I've completely forgotten the name of.

Anyhow, one Sunday we went to church and a huge thunderstorm the night before had completely wiped out the power in most of Suffolk. So we had church without lights and with an acoustic guitar. And it was one of the best services I've ever been to...as was today.

Sometimes we get so preoccupied with all the preparations that we lose focus on what's really important. I'm not saying fog machines and cool lights and loud music at church isn't good- but when it comes down to it- we need to remind ourselves that there's one thing important about church- God.

Interestingly, this is the verse we used today at church, which I knew right away was how I would end my blog. Everyone should be familiar with it- but it's often only applied in context, and not applied to the church- or to fasting- or to our lives.

Luke 10:38-42
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Only one thing is needed- God. And like Jesus says, it won't be taken away from her.

And so, just like at church today we did just fine with no sound and churches all over the world meet with no power, I survived just fine for 21 days on fruits and vegetables.

And I think sometimes we have so much clutter that getting rid of things- maybe electricity at church, maybe foods from our diet, maybe plenty of other things that fill us up so that God can't fill us up- brings us closer to God.

And so I was originally planning on writing a list of things this fast has helped me with that I'll continue on doing now that it's over.

But I was reminded of a time my senior year when I was discipling a new Christian, and she brought me this huge list of things she wanted to strive to be. And I looked at her, flipped the sheet over, and said, "write them all down in one sentence."

And so eventually, we worked together and came up with this:

"I want more of God, and less of me."

Because clutter rids our focus, and because when it comes down to it, like Jesus said to Martha, "Only one thing is needed."

That's it.

And so I thank you all for following my blog and for praying for me so much, you don't know how much of a blessing you all have been for me during this time.

And so, day 21, and as my fast comes to an end, I only have one thing that I wish to continue to focus on.

And so I turn my eyes toward God.

day 21- water, scripture and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment